For those who are driving heavy duty vehicles, such as: passenger buses, dump trucks, concrete mixers and, of course, tractor-trailers they need a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Consequently, drivers also need certain endorsements on their CDL to be able to carry liquid cargo, passengers or hazardous materials.

Why is CDL training important?

CDL training is important for new drivers in the trucking industry to acquire these basic skills before they go on the road. Furthermore, it’s a great opportunity for rookies to learn from seasoned professionals and ask questions regarding life on the road.

Adding endorsements to your CDL can be effective to furthering your career by allowing you access certain types of freight. More importantly, endorsements can leave you with less limits when you are looking for jobs in the industry.

How many types of CDL licenses are there?

In the trucking world, there are three different types of CDL licenses:  

  1. Class A CDL is a combination vehicle license with a gross vehicle rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs or more. Unless the towed vehicle is heavier than 10,000 pounds.

The types of vehicles that are included are:

    • Tractor-trailers
    • Truck and trailer combinations
    • Tank vehicles
    • Livestock Carriers
    • Flatbeds
  1. Class B CDL is a single vehicle license with a gross vehicle rating (GVWR) if 26,001 lbs or more and they can operate class C vehicles.

The types of vehicles that are included are:

    • Straight trucks
    • Large passenger buses
    • Segmented buses
    • Box trucks
    • Dump trucks with small trailers
    • Tractor-trailers
  • Class C CDL is a single vehicle made to carry 16 or more passengers with a gross vehicle rate of less than 26,001 lbs and can operate vehicles that don’t fall into CDL A or B.  

The types of vehicles that are included are:

  • Small HazMat vehicles
  • Passenger vans
  • Combination vehicles not covered by Classes A or B

Although, all of these licenses are used in the transportation industry, the best CDL license for a truck driver is either the CDL A or CDL B. However, this is dependent on the type of company you work for and what you are hauling.

What are the truck driving school requirements?
  1. Clean driving record and solid work history
  2. Must be at least 21 years of age to cross state lines and haul hazardous materials.
  3. Pass a drug and alcohol test and physical

CDL Federal requirements are:

  1. To obtain a commercial learner’s permit (CLP)
  2. Hold your CLP for a minimum of 14 days
  3. Take the road skills test for your CDL

At TransWood we offer our very own training videos when you apply with us! We offer the best equipment for our employees to stay safe while on the road.

TransWood is committed to protecting the health, safety and security of our employees and independent contractors while minimizing the impact of our operations on the public and the environment where we operate. Our mission is to achieve excellence through superior systems, training, and dedication which ensures TransWood will provide a level of disciplined quality service to exceed our customers’ expectations. Contact TransWood so we can start serving your hauling freight needs.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *